5G coming soon to Sky Mobile – with data rollover and flexible contracts
5G coming soon to Sky Mobile – with data rollover and flexible contracts
5G Coming Soon to Sky Mobile – with data rollover and flexible contracts
Sky Mobile today announced it will launch 5G connectivity on its network by November 2019, bringing the next-generation of mobile technology to Sky Mobile customers.
Six towns and cities will be the first to benefit from the new superfast mobile speeds when 5G launches on Sky Mobile, with wider national rollout planned to reach 20 towns and cities before the end of 2019, and a total of 50 to go live by the end of 2020. Anyone interested in learning more about Sky Mobile’s 5G offering can register their interest at: www.sky.com/5g.
Since launch, Sky Mobile has put fairness, flexibility and value for customers at the heart of its offering - from industry-leading data rollover to unlimited streaming of Sky movies and TV shows without using any data allowance. The launch of 5G will enable Sky to deliver even greater entertainment on the go.
The fastest ever download speeds offered by 5G, up to 10x faster than 4G and up to 1Gbps connections, will give customers an amazing mobile viewing experience when streaming high-quality movies, TV shows, live sports, or kids programmes on Sky’s apps. All without using any data allowance.
5G on Sky Mobile will also offer a more reliable connection, so even in busy commuter hubs, city centres, or a packed stadium, customers will have a great signal when streaming TV or browsing the web. 5G also means near real-time connectivity, so everything from browsing the web to shooting your way through online mobile games will feel lightning-fast.
Sophia Ahmad, Commercial Director of Sky Mobile, said “We will be the only mobile operator to be able to combine the launch of next generation superfast 5G connectivity with Sky Mobile’s unique features including Roll, Swap and Watch."
All Sky Mobile’s plans come with Roll, which automatically rolls unused data over at the end of each month into a customer’s piggybank. Rolled data can be kept for up to three years and used whenever you need a little extra data boost, or exchanged for money off new phones, tablets and accessories. Those opting for a 5G handset can choose to update their phone every year without changing contract with Sky Mobile’s Swap plans – ideal for those who always want the latest 5G device.
Huawei and Samsung 5G Ready Handsets Launching with Sky Mobile
Today, Sky Mobile is starting the 5G ready journey with Huawei’s first 5G phone, the Huawei Mate 20 X 5G. The phone features a huge clear 7.2-inch OLED display, built for mobile viewing and entertainment. The handset is ideal for Sky Mobile customers who love watching their favourite movies and TV shows. With Sky Mobile, Sky TV customers can watch the best movies and TV shows through Sky’s apps, including Sky Go, Sky Sports and Sky Kids, and with Sky Mobile’s Watch they won’t use a single GB of data when streaming on the go.
The Huawei Mate 20 X 5G starts from £36 per month on Swap24 excluding the data plan. Customers can add 8GB allowance and Unlimited Calls & Texts for just £10 instead of £15, saving themselves £150. Anyone wanting to get Huawei’s 5G ready phone today can get it at: www.sky.com/shop/mobile/phones/huawei
Sky Mobile will be launching more 5G ready handsets later in the year from leading manufacturers, including the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G. The phones feature an almost frameless 6.7-inch Infinity-O display, a bigger long-lasting intelligent battery and six cameras.
Those who opt for a 5G ready device will have phones ready to connect to the faster speeds of 5G on Sky Mobile by November, with 5G pricing to be confirmed closer to the launch. 5G on Sky Mobile will combine with all the usual benefits of Sky Mobile:
- Roll – with Sky Mobile, unused data is automatically rolled into your Sky Piggybank each month so you get to keep it for up to three years. Unused data rolled into a Sky Piggybank can be redeemed if you need a data boost as you explore the possibilities of 5G
- Mix – Mix lets you to change your data allowance, up or down, each month to match how much you use, without changing contracts – ideal as you get used to using 5G
- Watch – Sky Mobile’s newest feature gives you unlimited streaming on all Sky Apps, including Sky Go, Sky Sports and Sky Kids, without using your data. You can also download great entertainment to watch offline with Sky Go Extra at no additional cost. With 5G, you can stream higher quality movies and TV shows from Sky, or download them at super-fast speeds to watch offline
- Save – all Sky Mobile’s SIMO and handset plans come with free Unlimited Calls & Texts as standard
- Swap – if you want the latest 5G phone every year, whether it’s the latest edge-to-edge screen or a foldable phone, Swap12 gives you the flexibility to upgrade your phone every year without changing contracts. Or choose Swap24 to guarantee Sky Mobile’s lowest monthly cost on any 5G handset, with the option to upgrade after two years
Notes to editors
About 5G roll out
- At launch, London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, as well as Leeds and Slough, will be the first to benefit from the new superfast mobile speeds when 5G launches on Sky Mobile
- By the end of 2019, Sky will have 5G in the following 20 towns and cities: Belfast, Blackpool, Bournemouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Coventry, Derby, Edinburgh, Eton, Guildford, Leeds, Leicester, Lisburn, London, Norwich, Nottingham, Reading, Slough, Stoke and Windsor
- In 2020, rollout will expand to 50 locations including the following: Aberdeen, Bradford, Brighton, Birkenhead, Birmingham, Cambridge, Glasgow, Hove, Kingston, Liverpool, Luton, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Newbury, Newcastle, Northampton, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Sheffield, Southampton, Sunderland, Warrington and Wolverhampton
For further information, please contact:
Sky Mobile at Fever
With 24 million customers across seven countries, Sky is Europe’s leading media and entertainment company and is proud to be part of the Comcast group.
We have 31,000 colleagues and together we want to connect our customers to more of what they love, including our award-winning original productions, like Patrick Melrose and Save Me, and great shows from our partners including HBO, Showtime and Warner Bros. And our ever-improving technology makes it even easier for customers to watch more of the shows they love with personalised recommendations and voice control and, our online streaming service, NOW TV, brings all the enjoyment of Sky with the flexibility of a contract free service.
We treat our customers better than anyone else in our field, as Ofcom’s complaints data shows, and we look after our staff too. Sky is one of The Times Top 50 employers for women and we’re in Stonewall’s list of Top 50 LGBT-Inclusive employers.
We also use our position as the leading entertainment business in Europe to do the right thing. As part of Sky Ocean Rescue campaign, we’re committing to be completely single-use plastic free by 2020, we’re investing £25million over five years in ocean-saving tech and we’re supporting the WWF to protect our oceans with designated Marine Protected Areas.